How to Keep Your Deck/Patio in Great Shape
Anytime you own a home, you have to deal with home maintenance. If you have a deck and patio, you’ll know that those areas really take a lot of wear and tear. So what can you do to keep your deck in tiptop shape?
1. Seal your deck every few years. This will help maintain your deck’s good condition. With all the rain we’ve been having, there’s a good chance that there’s some mold and mildew building up.
2. Rearrange your furniture once a year. This will help keep the mildew growth down, and it allows the air and rain to travel in different areas on your deck, which can help reduce mold growth and other problems related to exposure.
3. Do not paint your wood deck. If you paint your wood deck, it’ll be pretty for a time, but it won’t be long before it becomes a maintenance nightmare.
4. Don’t overdo your power washing. Excessive power washing can really warp the boards on your deck and possibly tear up the siding, so be careful. If you’ve got a synthetic composite deck, it’s a little easier to power wash.
5. Don’t use chlorine bleach. To clean your deck, just use regular water, and also avoid using abrasive tools like wire brushes to clean. Just let the power washer do its work.
There are certain companies that will help you keep up with your deck and patio maintenance, and there are also ways that you can do it yourself. Regardless, your deck and patio are great selling points for any home, so be sure to do what it takes to keep them in good shape—that’ll bring you lots of good money when it comes time to sell your home.
If you’ve got questions about buying, selling, or maintaining a home, feel free to reach out to me. I’d be glad to help you.