Are You Sabotaging Your Own Listing Success?
Unfortunately, it doesn’t take much to mess up a home sale. Many seemingly innocent actions can hurt your chances of success.
There are five simple things that can work against you when you list:
1. A color scheme that’s out-of-step with current trends. One of the least expensive things you can do to help your home sell quickly is to paint it. Using neutral colors is best, as off-trend or overly vibrant hues could turn off potential buyers.
2. Overly personal decor. As much as you love the family photos or sports paraphernalia you’ve got on display, it’s important to remember that buyers want to see the property as their future home—not your current one. When you declutter before listing, make sure you also depersonalize.
3. Unpleasant odors. If you’ve got unaddressed pet odors in your home or you haven’t cleaned in a while, buyers are sure to turn up their noses at your listing. On the other hand, pleasant smells can also be overwhelming. Rather than the collective scent of 15 candles, aim for light, fresh smells. A clean-smelling home is ideal.
4. An inflexible schedule. As a seller, you should open your home up for showings as often as possible. The less often you make your listing available, the less likely you’ll be to get an offer.
5. Undisclosed problems. If you try to disguise the issues in your home rather than being upfront about the problems that exist, this is bound to come back and haunt you later in the deal. Whether it’s during the inspection, a showing, or the final walk-through, buyers will find out what’s wrong with your property.
If you have any other questions or would like more information, feel free to give us a call or send us an email. We look forward to hearing from you soon.